SG1 Y-Type™ (Internal Mix)
- Cheap to build
- Requires large compressor
- If compressor is shut off for any reason PERMANENT DAMAGE can occur to compressor from water backing down the air line and into the compressor.
- Needs constant attention to keep air water balance
Requirements for operation of the SG1 Y-Type™ Snowmaker
- Pressure washer with a pressure rating no higher than 1400psi
- Compressor with a minimum rating of 12CFM @ 90PSI
- ½” pipe cap - QTY 1
- ¾”male garden to ½”male pipe - QTY 1
- Garden Y adapter - QTY 1
- ¾”female Garden to ½”female pipe adapter - QTY 2
- ½”male x ½”female 45°street elbow - QTY 1
- ½” x 2” nipple - QTY 1
- ½” x ball valve - QTY 2
- ½”male x 22mm bushing (not shown) - QTY 1
- ½”male quick connect air fitting (not shown) - QTY 1
Other miscellaneous items you will need
- Roll of Teflon tape
- 11/64” drill bit
- Pressure washer extension hose with 22mm swivel connectors on both ends.
How the SG1 Y-Type™ Snowmaker works
This design utilizes internal mixing. The Y-Type snowmaker works by mixing high pressure water and compressed air internally. In order to optimize this snowmaker design you need to use a compressor that is rated for a minimum of 12cfm @ 90PSI. You might find your compressor does not meet the requirements required to optimize this snow maker design. Check out our other free plan designs that may work better with your compressor.
For more information on how man made snow is made check out our snowmaking science page.
Assembling your SG1 Y-Type™ Snowmaker
- You can purchase the parts in the list above at most hardware or home improvement stores.
- Start you project by Drilling 3 11/64” holes across the center of the pipe cap (part#1).
- Assemble the parts exactly as they are shown in the photo. All non garden connections must have Teflon tape. All garden fittings must have a gasket.
- Connect Part#8 to the right side of your snowmaker, Connect Part#9 to the left side of your snowmaker.
Operating the SG1 Y-Type™ Snowmaker
- First step is to check if the weather conditions are right for snowmaking.
- You will need to attach your SAH-SG1 Y Type™ Snowmaker to something secure like a ladder or fence post. You can do this with large wire ties or metal hose clamps.
- Connect one end of the pressure washer extension hose to the 22mm fitting side of the snowmaker, connect the other end to your pressure washer.
- Connect the air hose from your compressor to the snowmaker using the quick connect fitting.
- Connect a garden hose from your pressure washer to your water spigot.
- Make sure ball valve on the air side of your snowmaker is closed.
- Open the ball valve all the way on the water side of your snowmaker.
- Turn on the water
- Turn on your pressure washer
- Turn on your compressor
- You should now have high pressure water coming out of the pipe cap.
- Open the ball valve on the air side of the snowmaker slowly until you have a steady spray of water and air coming out. (It is typical for you to get a pulsing flow, adjust the ball valve to get the steadiest stream possible.) If you open the ball valve all the way and no air comes out, your compressor does not meet the minimum requirements listed above.
- If the weather conditions are right for snowmaking you should now be making snow!
- HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!
Due to the nature of the free plans provided we do not offer technical advice on construction or operation on any of the free snowmaker plans.
All free plans are for personal, non-commercial use, copywrighted plans are not to be used to sell a product or service. You may not copy, distribute, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, upload, reuse, re-post, or otherwise display the Content for public or commercial purposes.